Friday, October 2, 2009

Interview with Etsy Seller ThiefJamie!



1. When and how did you fall in love with yarn?

My mom was a dabbler in the yarn arts when I was young, for cheaper and handmade gifts when there were more kids than spending money to go around. I’ve always been encouraged in art projects and yarn was another tool to explore and a couple friends and I would hang out with each other’s moms and learn different tricks and things. I became a dabbler myself for a few years in there!

Then in the last couple years I fell in love with it all over again when I was introduced to the world of handspun and art yarns, especially through Etsy. I love that there’s so many unique pieces, infused with so much personality!



2. What is your favorite material?

I really love merino and alpaca, the slidy, squishy feeling of sinking my hands into it. And especially after learning to spin this summer, I’ve gotten more picky about the fiber I spend my time with. I am always willing to try new ones though! I’ve done upcycled t-shirts, glow-in-the-dark, banana silk and other fun stuff. I’d like to try hemp yarn and camel next, I think…

3. Where can people find your handmade goodies?

ThiefJamie.etsy.com

4. Why do you do what you do?

I kept seeing all these cute and amazing things: hats in boutiques and online, adorable characters in shows and books and thinking, “I want to touch it and hold it and I could totally make that!” And then it was a personal challenge to see if I really could. And I’ve finally gotten to the point of being able to make things that are wholly my own and bring my imagination into 3-D creations!



5. What other hobbies or interests do you have?

Adventuring! Washington is a beautiful state and there’s so much to see! Fairs and forests and shows, let’s hit the road and see where we end up! And when the weather’s too blustery, you’ll find me with my friends and my super loud family, watching the Mighty Boosh and drinking tea.

6. Name a few of your favorite websites for others to check out.

For all my crafty needs, I love Ravelry, but when I get online I like to laugh, so you’ll usually find me wasting time with Dooce, Cracked or xkcd.com. And then my Etsy favorites are too many to count!

No comments: